Moving can become a disorganized mess very quickly and early on into the move. Ensure everything stays on schedule, in your budget, and within sight with this 3-month checklist. Get your family and all your belongings into your new home as easily as possible!
12 Weeks Until The Move
Careful planning is the key to a smooth move. Start to see what expenses may occur and see how much you may need to set aside for your relocation.
- Create a file or binder containing every detail of your move.
- A map of the new area
- Hotspots the family might enjoy
- Possible health and dental care providers in the area
- Review your moving budget
- See what may be tax deductible
- If you need to move a car or boat start researching special companies
8 Weeks Until The Move
If you pack smart and with a plan, moving into your new home will be a piece of cake. These checklist items can help you stay organized and even lessen the workload toward the big day.
- Make a floor plan of your new home
- Measure your new place
- Take a look at your current furniture and see how it may fit
- Make any last-minute doctor/veterinarian/ dental appointments
- Start the process of selecting a moving service
- Check their reputation on BBB, Yelp and other review sites
- Declutter your belongings
- Set aside items that need to be donated or thrown away
- Set the rest aside for a garage sale
- Start an inventory of your belongings and assign a value to them
- Organize school records and check into the enrollment process in your new city
4 Weeks Until The Move
Making sure you have all the supplies and services necessary to live in your new place is the next step in the process! Transferring important documents and giving notice now can save you from a headache in the future.
- File a change of address form with the post office
- Notify people of your new address:
- Subscription Services
- Notify people of your new address:
- Have a garage sale
- Get rid of things from the decluttering
- Buy moving supplies
- Bubble Wrap
- Start packing
- Separate Valuables
- Ensure your home owner’s insurance is in order
- Make arrangements to discontinue utilities and set up new ones
- Main Services
- Pool Services
- Dispose of unmovable items
- Aerosol cans
2 Weeks Until The Move
The day is quickly approaching! As you finish up packing in the upcoming weeks, you’ll have time to slowly start to clean your old home and prepare yourself for your new one.
- Make arrangements with your bank
- Transfer local bank accounts
- Get new checks printed
- Relocate your safety deposit box
- Review your home insurance
- Is moving covered?
- Transfer your insurance to your new home
- Ask for medical records
- Make arrangements to move pets, kids, and plants
- Make travel arrangement if necessary
- If you’re shipping a vehicle, ensure it’s cleaned out and has the fluids topped off
- Disassemble all shelves and closet systems you plan to take with you
- Breakdown tables and other items that need to be disassembled
- Discontinue services
- Newspaper delivery
- Trash pick-up
- Lawn services
1 Week Before The Move
The day’s almost here. Make sure everything is squared away, prepared and ready to go. It’s time to make your old home look good as new and pack away your last few items.
- Purchase cleaning supplies
- Wipe down all appliances, interior drawers, countertops, and shelves
- Wash all windows, walls and doors
- Clean the carpet and the floors
- Scrub all sinks, showers, bathtubs and toilets
- Repaint and patch up holes if needed
- Prepare a suitcase with necessities for a few days
- Refill all prescriptions
- Separate boxes for items you’ll need first
- Plan to use up remaining food items
- Drain fuel from gas-powered equipment
- If you’re packing with movers:
- Ensure the movers know how much you are packing
- Call to schedule and confirm details
The Day Before The Move
The day is almost here and you’re ready to start a new chapter in life! Review your checklist and double check that everything is in order and ready to go, prepping you for the morning ahead.
- Defrost and clean out any refrigerators, freezers and appliances
- Finish any cleaning
- Gather all your valuables
- Load any luggage and boxes the moves aren’t taking into your car
The Big Day
You have been preparing for this moment for months and the day’s finally here! Make sure to get an early start to your day because the quicker you move the faster you can enjoy your new home.
- Prepare to be on call for any last-minute details and direction needed
- Before leaving check each room, closet, attic, basement and garage
- Remember to turn off all lights, and secure any doors and windows before departing
- Be ready to supervise the placement of your belongings by the moving company
- Check for any damages on your belongings
- Settle in
Don’t let moving become a stressful task, let us help you the best we can! Take a look at our residential moving services where we have trained professionals available to provide you with a seamless move.